The Parkinson’s UK Greater Glasgow Research Interest Group (GGRIG) was formed in 2019 in direct response to demand from the Parkinson’s community in the West of Scotland and in recognition that Scotland has two Research Interest Groups (RIGs) already established that serve the Edinburgh (ERIG) and Dundee (DRIG) regional areas.
The GGRIG’s overriding mission is to reach out to and provide a link between the Parkinson’s Research Community and people with Parkinson’s, their family members and carers who are interested in research opportunities in the Greater Glasgow area including the West of Scotland.
The principal objectives of the GGRIG are to support Parkinson’s UK’s Research Support Network with their key aims at a regional level, including:
● Increasing awareness and understanding of research,
● Encouraging participation in research, and
● Encouraging and supporting Patient and Public Involvement in shaping research.
Parkinson’s UK Research Interest Groups (RIGs) are made up of Parkinson’s UK representatives, people affected by Parkinson’s and researchers. The groups are vital in increasing awareness and understanding of research at a local level. They are led by volunteers who work with the charity’s local groups and staff to coordinate, initiate and participate in research activities such as:
● meetings and presentations on research given by researchers
● creating and reinforcing links between researchers and people affected by Parkinson’s
● visits to laboratories undertaking Parkinson’s research
● participation in clinical trials and studies
● keeping up to date with research progress and new developments and communicating these
● identifying people to speak at local support groups about Parkinson’s research
● working with researchers to shape their research through Patient and Public Involvement opportunities
● organising local research events
GRIG meets quarterly, either online or in person in central Glasgow. If you would like to know more, please get in touch with GRIG’s Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.